Programs and Classes
Since its founding in 2009, MRC has offered a variety of programs, including the following:
- Intensive summer seminars for scholars and graduate students working with Sanskrit, Tibetan, Pāli, and Chinese texts, typically focused on a specific text.
- Courses in Sanskrit, research methodology, and Buddhist discourse.
- Symposia that bring together scholars in a leading field of study, such as Madhyamaka or Abhidharma, to discuss terminological issues and establish programs for future study.
- Conferences that address issues of fundamental concern in the field of Buddhist translation studies.
- Workshops on specific topics and themes.
- Lectures and panel discussions open to the public.
Scholars who have attended symposia at MRC have also given talks in the Mangalam Temple, a beautiful space that can seat close to 200 people. The city of Berkeley, an international center for study well-known for its openness to new ideas, is the ideal setting for such programs to unfold.