Complete an Application
All program applicants must submit a short application form that includes a statement of purpose, intellectual autobiography, CV, unofficial transcripts, and a writing sample, along with a $50 application fee. Applications may be submitted online or by mail to the address listed at the bottom of this page by the posted deadline.
- Statement of Purpose: This section of the application helps the admissions committee determine your fit for the program. The statement should include your reasons for applying to the program, your relevant personal and academic accomplishments, what you hope to accomplish in the future, and the relation of the program to your advanced studies or current work. 500-1000 words
- Intellectual Autobiography: Describe the formation of your academic interests, interests in Buddhism, or interest in translation, how your personal background and experiences inform your decision to pursue the program for which you are applying. 500-1000 words
- Application fee: The application fee for all programs is $50. Payment can be made by personal check or money order made out to Mangalam Research Center*, or you may pay online via PayPal.
- Writing or translation sample: All applications must include a writing sample. We prefer 5-15 pages; maximum 25 pages (double-spaced/12pt font).
- Resume or CV: Please provide a short resume or CV (2 pages maximum).
- An unofficial transcript from each college or university you have attended. Institutional, web-based transcripts or academic records are acceptable for admission consideration. Transcripts that are not stated in English must be accompanied by a translation into English certified to be accurate by a qualified translator.
Additional Admissions Requirements
- Letters of Recommendation. Please forward two letters of recommendation from faculty members in your proposed field of study who are sufficiently familiar with your work who can offer a comprehensive evaluation of your abilities.
- Personal interview. The Admissions Committee may request a personal interview with you which is often held via Skype. Please review the educational and experiential requirements of the relevant program as you prepare for your interview.
- Tuition Waiver Request A limited number of tuition waivers are available for select students. You must include your request for tuition waiver during the application process. All requests require review and approval from the Director of Mangalam Research Center. For more information, click here.
More detailed information about admission requirements and procedures is available in the school catalog. You may also view the FAQ or contact us.